Students have one vocabulary table like the one attached to the link below between the pair of them, when student A says, “Start” in the TL the stopwatch is started. Student B then says the word in the TL followed by its meaning in English. When they say, “Stop” in the TL the stopwatch is stopped. Students to record their scores in a simple table in the back of their book. Process is repeated and repeated until given time is over.
You could give a raffle ticket to the winning individual in each pair and do a prize draw for a chew or lollipop at the end of the lesson (and possibly after more activities).
- Stopwatches/watches/student phone to time each other
- Vocab list in table format
- The students should have a reasonable amount of data after 5-10 minutes of practising like this and could therefore chart their progress on a line graph/bar chart, work out mean, mode, median averages.
- …Students practise and drill new vocabulary in pairs, useful for students reluctant to participate in traditional drilling and core repetitions.
- …Teacher can facilitate and check pronunciation in pairs drilling only the common errors after assessment.